Get the Facts
- Suicide rates increased approximately 36% between 2000–2021.
- Suicide was responsible for 48,183 deaths in 2021.
- In 2021, suicide was among the top 9 leading causes of death for people ages 10-64.
- Suicide was the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-14 and 20-34.
- Suicide is responsible for about one death every 11 minutes.
- Additional factors that can increase suicide risk include relationship problems or feeling a lack of connectedness to others, easy access to lethal means among people at risk, experiences of violence such as child abuse and neglect, adverse childhood experiences, bullying, and serious health conditions.
More information is available at